Friday, June 18, 2010

The Boyscout Approach

My first writing conference was very successful. I attribute this to being prepared.

- I had a finished book, synopsis, and query.

- I knew my book and could describe it in 25 words.

- I had business cards. This is a must.

- I dressed the part. Actually, I overdressed a bit. Still, I looked professional.

- I did my research. I knew who would be there, who I needed to talk to, and even if I didn't need to talk to them, I familiarized myself with their work, so if I ran across them I could strike up a conversation.

- I was passionate about my book. I think that really showed.

- I put myself out there. I made an effort to walk up and talk to people. I wanted to get on their radar. This isn't so hard for me (I love talk, and I am interested in hearing people talk, a.k.a. be a sponge), but even if you aren't outgoing you have to do your best. Volunteering to introduce speakers was well worth it.


Writers at all stages of their careers are at these conferences. Some want to learn how to get started, some want to get motivated, some are just curious, and some (this is me) are there to find an agent and publisher. Whatever your goal is, be prepared for it. I went into Pennwriter's determined to suck every ounce of worth out of it and it really paid off.

No comments:

Post a Comment