Friday, June 18, 2010

Conventions are good for you: 2

Pennwriter's was a well designed conference, and I can't recommend it enough. I'm going to focus on aspects and people instead of timeline. Today, let's talk about C.J. Lyons.

C.J. writes medical thrillers (my description of her work, not hers), a genre I don't read whatsoever. However, she was running a pitch clinic first thing Friday morning (see how smart Pennwriter's is, they put this where it did the most good) and I was keen to attend.

I have to say, C.J. is great. She knows her stuff, has incredible energy, and is genuinely concerned about other writers. She made a fan out of me.

Her session on pitching was invaluable. I went to the conference prepared (an entry for another time, fair reader), but she helped me sharpen my pitch and will let you know what is working and what is not. I am sure a lot of new writer's look at classes and wonder if they are worth it or not. Hers are.

After her talk, we had a chance to pitch our book in front of the class (a hundred people? more? I'm not good with counting crowds), and I took it.

It was a wise decision.

One: I got valuable practice. Two: It put me on everyone's radar. People came up to me, commented on my pitch, offered advice, etc. It was a great icebreaker.

I heard a lot of "I don't usually read those kind of books, but yours sounds interesting" from people, which was a boost, because I wrote A Monstrous War with a mind on accessibility. I want to bring new readers into the genre.

I got off to a great start, and I owe it to C.J. Lyons. Thanks, C.J.

No comments:

Post a Comment